Wednesday, October 13, 2010

relationship to the grand rounds


This board was put together to show the relationship my chosen neighborhood has to the river.

From the satellite image, it is clear that the neighborhood is quite cut off from the river by a major freeway and a thick band of industrial facilities.

I drove the grand rounds from my home near Lake Nokomis along Minnehaha Creek, up the Mississippi, through downtown, to North Minneapolis.

It was interesting to me that the grand rounds happens to dead end, literally with sign and everything, right at the neighborhood I am investigating.

The relationship to the river and to the grand rounds system seems to be a potential area that could be addressed architecturally, though I am unsure at this point, how it would or is related to higher education.

At the time I made this board, I kept thinking about the bridge over 94 on Broadway as a potential site, something designed to connect the neighborhood back to the city as a whole, and potentially through program and metaphor, to higher education as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment